Saturday, February 8, 2014

Best Sochi Opening Ceremony Moments


Seeing hockey great Viacheslav Fetisov (front left), formerly of the Russian Red Army Team and Detroit Red Wings, carry in the Olympic flag was a highlight.  He can add this honor to his back to back wins of the Stanley Cup in '97 & '98.




By the way, I nearly had my wife convinced to name our second born Viacheslav. 











Watching Russian hockey legend Vladislav Tretiak light the Olympic flame also ranks with the best.   Hockey aficionados remember him as possibly the greatest goalie of all time. 








You may remember him as the goalie who was yanked at the end of the 1st period when the USA was on its way to pulling off the Miracle on Ice in 1980.



The Russian version of a wardrobe malfunction, the Olympic ring not unfolding, has to make the list. 







Rumors are that they doctored the video feed in Mother Russia to show a flawless unveiling.  Propaganda for the people!  Wait, I thought Communism was dead in Russia?


 

Daughter #2 told me a giant carried the flag in for Slovakia.  Well, sort of, it was all of 6'9" Zdeno Chara, captain of the Slovak hockey team.  As a Boston Bruin I cheer against him, as a Slovak player, I will cheer for him.

I will be torn in hockey's opening game - Slovakia vs the USA, should I yell for my ancestral roots or for the country of my birth?   Hmmm, well, either way I win.






But my top spot goes to
the Russian Ministry of Internal Affairs choir's 
version of Daft Punk's Get Lucky.

This is the 3rd post of the video, 
YouTube keeps deleting, 
apparently NBC doesn't share well with others...



Funky cops, just what the Olympics ordered.




No comments: