Sunday, September 4, 2011

The Sun Also Rises

A tough morning for Duck fans, but realistically we all knew this could happen.

  The Ducks had to re-load at too many key spots and, inevitably, our inexperience was our downfall.   It was apparent they needed a tune up game before taking on the likes of LSU, a New Mexico would have been nice.  But we can't change what's done, it's time to move on.  Upcoming games with Nevada and Missouri State should help the newbies before opening Pac-12 play with Arizona.  The focus has shifted a bit to the immediate goal of winning the Pac-12 North.  I'm sure the coaches had this as first priority all along, but the pressure to return to the Natty was in everyone's mind, accentuated by the magnitude of the opening game.




I would like to congratulate LSU on the win.  I have to grit my teeth to give anyone in the SEC an "atta boy", but you got it. 



 
Thankfully, there is a lot of football left to play - and I do expect the Ducks to get better.   A must with Stanford ready and waiting....





  

As for a Winged Zed this week, no one really elevated to catch my eye for the award.  My leading candidate showed some greatness, but had two costly fumbles that led to LSU scores. Keep working De'Anthony, you'll get one sooner (how about next week?) or later.



 


 
Now you should note that I could take some shots at our northern neighbors for their loss, but there is no need - it's embarrassing enough with out me rubbing it in.






  
And finally, to my literary friends, yes, I referenced Hemingway for a title.   It just seemed appropriate, since, for many Duck fans, the sun appeared to fatally set last night.










Suck it up kids, one loss doesn't kill the season.  Remember the opening loss to Boise State in 2009?  Seems like we came out smelling like a rose after that...

No comments: